Jakarta – The government line is that the Banyuwangi killing spree in East Java, which began in August and has since spread to Central and West Java, is a purely criminal case.
Abductions & Extra-Judicial Killings
Displaying 401 - 417 of 417 Documents
November 4, 1998
August 1, 1998
Jakarta – Mystery surrounds a missing student activist who apparently turned up alive and well in the southern Philippines, with officials and his family saying he may not be the man th
July 15, 1998
Andi Arief, who heads SMID, the student wing of the People's Democratic Party, was released on Tuesday [July 14] and has now returned to his parents' home in Lampung, South Sumatra.
July 10, 1998
The East Timor Human Rights Centre (ETHRC) has received further information involving the extra-judicial execution of Maria da Costa (previously reported as Maria Freitas).
May 13, 1998
The East Timor Human Rights Centre (ETHRC) has received information from reliable sources that an East Timorese man, Costodio da Silva Nunes, was extra-judicially executed by Indonesian
April 28, 1998
It is clear that the abductors of the 'disappeared' political activists systematically and repeatedly violated Indonesian law.
January 14, 1998
Dili – Four East Timorese have been found dead days after they were abducted from their village by a group of unidentified armed men, a local official said.
December 24, 1997
Surabaya – MateBEAN sources have tracked the identity of the four East Timor students and two other graduates kidnapped in Surabaya on Sunday 12 December 1997.
December 5, 1997
Dili – The identity of the four young men of Mau-bara, Liquisa is still a mystery.
December 4, 1997
Jakarta – The bodies of four youths have been found in the troubled territory of East Timor and Indonesia's military has blamed their killings on rebels opposing Jakarta's rule, the off
December 3, 1997
Jakarta – The chief police of Dili, Colonel Rismanto, said on Tuesday he did not know the whereabouts of three East Timorese students who have disappeared since the incident at the Univ
September 22, 1997
Lisbon – An East Timorese couple has been killed by Indonesia's intelligence service, Intel, the Timorese Socialist Association (AST) has said.
June 6, 1997
The East Timor Human Rights Centre (ETHRC) has received further information about David Dias Ximenes who was arrested on 31 May at his home in Dili.
April 17, 1997
The East Timor Human Rights Centre still holds grave fears for the safety of Ildefonso de Deus dos Santos (also known as "Maudino"), a 17 year old student who disappeared on 14 July in
April 5, 1997
ASIET has received the following message (abridged translation) from the East Timorese underground in Java
Statement begins: Suharto regime murders more Maubere people
February 20, 1997
The East Timor Human Rights Centre has received a report from reliable East Timorese sources relating to the suspected extra-judicial execution of four East Timorese men in October 1996
West Papua – On 19 April 2025, Indonesian National Armed Forces (TNI) members reportedly executed an unarmed indigenous Papuan named Mr Yulli Kalakmabin, 28, in Wanbakon Village, Seramb