APSN Banner

CCTV shows moments before officer's killing

Jakarta Post - July 28, 2022

News Desk, Jakarta – The National Commission on Human Rights (Komnas HAM) has revealed that CCTV cameras had captured the events leading up to the fatal shooting of police officer Nopryansyah Yosua Hutabarat – also known as Brig. J – at the residence of the police's internal affairs chief, Insp. Gen. Ferdy Sambo, in Jakarta on July 8.

According to a previous police account, Yosua was killed in an exchange of fire with Second Agent (Bharada) Richard Eliezer Pudihang Lumliu – also known as E – at Ferdy's residence in Duren Tiga, South Jakarta. Elezier and Yosua had been on duty as a personal secretary to Ferdy and chauffeur to Ferdy's wife, respectively.

Before the incident, Yosua had escorted the family on a trip from Magelang, Central Java, to Jakarta. According to Yosua's family, at around 10 a.m. on July 8, he called his mother to inform her that he was still in Magelang.

"When [the entourage] arrived [from Magelang], [Yosua] was still alive, the members of the entourage were also well," Komnas HAM commissioner Choirul Anam told reporters on Wednesday as reported by Kompas.

According to the police, Elezier confronted Yosua after hearing screams coming from the bedroom of Ferdy's wife Putri Candrawathi, who claimed Yosua had tried to assault her. Police said Yosua drew his firearm first and fired at Elezier, triggering a gunfight between the two that left Yosua dead at around 5 p.m. on July 8.

CCTV recordings show Ferdy entering the residence first and after some time, the entourage from Magelang arrived.

"We can see the group from Magelang arriving. There's Putri, there's J," Anam said without specifying the time of their arrival.

Komnas HAM has looked into recordings from 27 spots and also examined cellular network information around the location. The commission has also questioned Elezier and five other aides de camp, as well as a forensics team from the National Police Hospital in Jakarta that had performed the autopsy on Yosua.

Questions were previously raised over the police's claim that not a single CCTV camera at Ferdy's residence was operating at the time of the incident.

Speculation has been rife that Yosua was killed elsewhere.

Yosua's family suggested that his death had been premeditated given the many lacerations and bruises they claimed to have found on his body. A lawyer representing Yosua's family in Jambi said recently that Yosua had received death threats from June until the day before his death.

The police launched a full investigation into allegations made by Yosua's family. Their formal investigation started a day after President Joko "Jokowi" Widodo reiterated his calls for a thorough and transparent probe.

The probe by Komnas HAM is not a criminal investigation but is expected to shed light on Yosua's death amid the discovery of a series of irregularities surrounding the case and the police's account of the incident, which has raised public suspicion that the latter had attempted to cover up the truth.

The commission will make recommendations based on the results of its investigation. (dre)

Source: https://www.thejakartapost.com/indonesia/2022/07/28/cctv-shows-moments-before-officers-killing.htm