Dewi Nurita, Jakarta – The first stage for the 2024 General Elections begins in less than a month, but the budget has not been disbursed yet.
President Joko "Jokowi" Widodo, in a meeting with the General Elections Commission (KPU) at the Presidential Palace on Monday, May 30, ensured that the government will immediately disburse the budget based on the needs of each stage.
"The President stated that he will instruct the Finance Minister to provide support regarding the financing and funding of the 2024 election," said KPU chairman Hasyim Asy'ari in his office, Monday.
KPU Commissioner Yulianto Sudrajat also said his agency would immediately coordinate with Finance Minister Sri Mulyani.
The organizers proposed Rp76.6 trillion as the cost to carry out the election. In detail, Rp8 trillion for this year's agenda, Rp23.85 trillion for next year's agenda, and Rp44.73 trillion for 2024.
The largest portion of the budget, amounting to Rp63.4 trillion or 82.71 percent, will be used for the fee of ad hoc members and election logistics. The rest of Rp13.25 trillion or 17.29 percent will be for support activities.
The KPU mentioned that the currently available budget is only Rp2 trillion, while the need for 2022 is around Rp8 trillion. Thus, the KPU hoped that the budget will be disbursed soon.
Other than the budget, Yulianto said President Jokowi pledged to provide support for the procurement of election logistics by issuing a Presidential Regulation.
"We really need assistance from production to distribution, because we cut the campaign period and logistics preparation from previously almost 7 months to 90 days," said Yulianto.