Separatist rebels have killed three Indonesian soldiers and critically injured another during an attack on a military post in Indonesia's easternmost province of Papua.
The gunmen from the West Papua Liberation Army, the military wing of the Free Papua Organisation, carried out the assault at dawn on Thursday during a change of guard in the hilly district of Puncak.
That district is a stronghold of the separatists, who have battled Indonesian rule in the mineral-rich but impoverished region since the early 1960s.
Military spokesperson Colonel Aqsha Erlangga said the gunmen fled into the jungle after soldiers returned fire.
The rebels launched a second attack while troops were evacuating a wounded soldier, who later died on the way to a clinic, he said.
Rebel spokesman Sebby Sambom, in a statement sent to The Associated Press, confirmed the group's fighters carried out the attack, saying it lasted more than four hours. He said there were no deaths on the rebel side.
"This is part of our struggle for independence," Mr Sambom said. "Our leaders have called on all fighters in our 34 defence regions to continue the war throughout the land of Papua."
The shootout is the latest in a series of violent incidents in recent years in Papua, a former Dutch colony in the western part of New Guinea that is ethnically and culturally distinct from much of Indonesia.
Conflicts between indigenous Papuans and Indonesian security forces are common.
Papua was incorporated into Indonesia in 1969, after a UN-sponsored ballot that was widely seen as a sham.
Since then, a low-level insurgency has simmered in the region, which is divided into two provinces, Papua and West Papua.
Attacks have spiked in the past year, with dozens of rebels, security forces and civilians killed.
Data from authorities collected by AP showed that at least 30 Indonesian troops were killed in clashes between rebels and security forces in the past two years, including four this year alone.