Hendrik Yaputra, Jakarta – The Directorate General of Civil Aviation has suspended the operation of 11 pioneer airports in Papua, following the shooting of a Smart Air plane at Korowai Airport in Boven Digoel Regency, South Papua.
Civil Aviation DG Lukman F. Laisa said the decision was taken to anticipate any unforeseen circumstances, and operations may resume once security is cleared by the Indonesian military and police.
"Security situation must be conducive and in compliance with flight safety standards," Lukman said on Monday, February 16, 2026.
The eleven airports include the Koroway Batu Service Unit (Satpel) in South Papua, Bomakia Airport in the Papuan Highlands, Yaniruma Service Unit in Papua Highlands, and Manggelum Service Unit in Papua Highlands.
Additionally, the Kapiraya Aerodrome, Iwur Aerodrome, Faowi Aerodrome, Dagai Aerodrome, Aboy Aerodrome, and Teraplu Aerodrome – all located in Papua Highlands – have also been suspended. The Beoga Aerodrome in Central Papua is also suspended.
Meanwhile, five pioneer airports continue to operate under military and police security despite being in high-risk areas. "Flight operations can be carried out while still considering the developments in the regions," he stated. These five airports are the Kiwirok Airport in Papua Highlands, Moanamani and Illu airports in Central Papua, and Sinak Service Unit and Agandugume Service Unit in Ilaga, Central Papua.
Lukman emphasized that operators who halt flights due to security reasons will not be sanctioned. Pioneer airport operations can still be carried out by ensuring the security conditions at the destination airports are met. "Operators are given the authority to assess security and decide whether to resume operations for safety reasons," he added.
The Civil Aviation DG is currently mapping out airports based on risk levels, drafting special Standard Operating Procedures (SOP) for aircraft crews in critical zones, and working with the Coordinating Ministry for Political and Security Affairs and law enforcement agencies to investigate the recent shooting.
The Ministry of Transportation emphasizes the importance of strengthening the legal basis for the halting of operations if security conditions are not met. "And the need for a joint decree between regional governments and security forces to strengthen the implementation of pioneer air transport," Lukman stated.
Head of the Public Relations Task Force for Operation Damai Cartenz, Commissioner Yusuf Sutejo, previously stated that 13 passengers were onboard the Smart Air plane that was shot at upon landing. The flight was piloted by Captain Egon Erawan and Co-pilot Captain Bas Koro.
As a result of the shooting, the pilot and co-pilot were declared dead, while 13 passengers, comprising 12 adults and one infant, were reported as safe. The Operation Cartenz Peace has identified the shooters as the West Papuan National Liberation Army-Free Papua Organization (TPNPB-OPM) Yahukimo Battalion, known as the Cannibal and Red Ants.
Meanwhile, the spokesperson for the TPNPB headquarters, Sebby Sambom, stated that the Korowai area is within the operational area of the TPNPB militia of the XVI/Yahukimo Defense Command (Kodap) led by Elkius Kobak and Kopitua Heluka as the operations commander. "We are very clear. TPNPB has long issued warnings for Indonesian people to leave Papua, especially in conflict zones," Sebby said via a WhatsApp voice message on Monday, February 16, 2026.
Furthermore, TPNPB has designated the Boven Digoel area, which is within the operational area of the XVI/Yahukimo Defense Command, as a conflict zone, so various shooting incidents are normalized.
– Andi Adam Faturahman contributed to the writing of this article.
