Dewi Nurita, Jakarta – The Coordinating Minister for Political, Legal, and Security Affairs, Wiranto, has pledged to withdraw military troops from Nduga, Papua, should conditions return to normal.
"If the conditions [in Papua] are conducive and safe from attacks and disturbances, I will withdraw [the officers]. I will demand the President and the TNI commander pull back the troops from Nduga," said Wiranto at his office, Jakarta, Friday, August 30.
Previously, Nduga Regent Yairus Gwijangge urged President Jokowi to immediately withdraw military and police personnel who had been launching military operations in Papua since early December last year.
The military operations sought to hunt down several suspects who killed workers of the Trans Papua project. The suspects were alleged members of the Free Papua Movement (OPM) or the Armed Criminal Group (KKB).
"With high hopes, we demand the President through the DPR speaker withdraw non-organic and organic troops of TNI and National Police deployed there," said Yairus at the Parliament Complex, Senayan, Jakarta, Monday, August 5.
Yairus explained that Papuans were fearful of the presence of military and police personnel in Nduga. He added that people were abandoning their homes due to this situation and thus 11 districts in Nduga were left empty.