APSN Banner

Four villagers die from gas poisoning inside well in West Java

Jakarta Globe - March 7, 2024

Vadhel Andika Raksayudha, Cianjur – Four villagers died due to suspected underground gas poisoning in Cianjur regency, West Java, on Wednesday.

The tragedy began when Hada, 38, a resident of Gasol village in the Cugenang District, attempted to repair an underground water pump at his home.

While descending into the eight-meter-deep well, Hada lost consciousness and fell to the ground, according to a neighbor named Deni.

"He went to the well to fix a water pump, but maybe there was a toxic gas that caused him to fall," Deni said.

In an attempt to rescue Hada, three men from the neighborhood rushed to the scene, unaware of the danger lurking inside the well. Tragically, they too succumbed to gas poisoning and fell, prompting other residents to call for a rescue team.

Rescue workers, equipped with masks and utilizing a fan above a narrow opening on the surface, worked to introduce fresh air into the well.

The fear of poisonous gas hampered the rescue efforts, and by nightfall, they managed to retrieve only one body, identified as Didin, one of the victims.

Source: https://jakartaglobe.id/news/four-villagers-die-from-gas-poisoning-inside-well-in-west-jav