Han Revanda Putra, Jakarta – Defense Minister Prabowo Subianto stated that Indonesia currently has no plan to withdraw its military forces deployed in a UN peacekeeping mission in Lebanon. The information was relayed during a press conference after the 17th ASEAN Defense Minister's Meeting (ADMM) and the 10th ASEAN Defense Minister's Meeting Plus 2023.
The ASEAN forum discussed several security and defense issues, including the geopolitical dynamics and defense agreement in ASEAN. All state members' defense ministers attended the forum with the exception of Myanmar.
According to Prabowo, the Indonesian peacekeeping force will remain in Lebanon as long as Israel's aggression to Gaza continues.
"So far, there are no plans to withdraw our peacekeeping force in Lebanon," he said at the Jakarta Convention Center on Thursday, November 16, 2023.
Additionally, Prabowo also stated that his side kept communicating and coordinating with relevant parties to observe the development in Gaza.
"We continue to coordinate with the UN, the Security Council, and relevant countries," he added.
Prabowo, as the chair and host of ADMM and Indonesian representative, also extended his dismay over the situation in Gaza. He said ASEAN state members are pushing and calling for an immediate stop to violence in Gaza.
Palestine authorities reported more than 11,000 Gazans killed by Israeli strikes until Wednesday, November 15, following an attack by Hamas at the beginning of October. Around 40 percent of those killed are children, while basic necessities continue to deplete for the 2.3 million besieged population.