Suci Sekarwati, Jakarta – The Foreign Affairs Ministry confirmed than an Indonesian worker in Malaysia had reported rape. The woman works as a household helper in Perak.
On July 10, the Indonesian Embassy in Kuala Lumpur sent a diplomatic note to the Malaysian Foreign Affairs Ministry requesting access to the consular affairs.
Judha Nugraha, the Foreign Ministry's acting director for overseas citizen protection, said on July 11, that consular officials and Police Attaches met with the Perak police chief in Ipoh, about 200 kilometers from Kuala Lumpur, and also the victim.
"The Indonesian Embassy seeks that the victim can stay in the embassy's shelter in Kuala Lumpur during the legal process," Judha said in a statement, Thursday, July 11.
The Malaymail.com reported that an Indonesian-national domestic worker went to the police. She said that her employer, executive councilor Paul Yong, had raped her at his home in Meru.
Yong was arrested on July 7. He denied the accusation, saying it was a baseless mistake.
Perak police chief Datuk Razarudin Husain said that both Yong and the victim had gone through physical examination as part of the investigation. Yong had been released on bail.