Stefi Thenu, Jakarta – The man who launched a failed suicide bomb attack on a police post in the Kartasura subdistrict of Sukoharjo, Central Java, earlier this week, reportedly admitted to having sworn allegiance to the Islamic State terrorist group on social media, but claims to have acted alone.
Rofik Asharudas, 22, is currently recovering from injuries he sustained in the attack and police have since declared him a suspect. He was the sole victim in the incident.
"The perpetrator is being detained and he was declared a suspect; his health is improving," Central Java Police spokesman Chief Comr. Agus Triatmaja said on Friday.
Separately, Central Java Police chief Insp. Gen. Rycko Amelza Dahniel said in Solo on Wednesday that Rofik had acted alone in planning and carrying out the attack. The suspect apparently also admitted that he did not have ties to any terrorist networks in Indonesia.
Rofik studied Islamic State's ideology through social media and swore an oath of allegiance, or bay'ah, to the international terrorist group at the end of last year.
"He worked alone; doesn't have links to any networks and took what is known as a bay'ah through social media to Islamic State [in Syria]," the Central Java Police chief said.
The suspect reportedly said Islamic State followers started teaching him verses from Islamic scripture related to violence after he swore allegiance to the group.
He was also taught how to use low-level explosives to assemble bombs, such as the one used in the failed attack.
Rofik apparently tried to convince family members, including his parents, to join him, but they refused.
Rycko said the homemade bomb used in the attack was defective and only injured the suspect's abdomen.