Mirza Bagaskara, Jakarta – The National Human Rights Commission or Komnas HAM has conducted an investigation into PT Gunbuster Nickel Industri or PT GNI, with regards to the clash between workers.
Komnas HAM found that there were incidents of mismanagement within PT GNI, with the company showing reluctance to implement labor-related regulations.
Komnas HAM chairman for Central Sulawesi Dedi Askary said that the clash between workers was a form of accumulated disappointment towards the management. Dedi said that the workers had been dissatisfied with management's policies, even since the smelter was still under construction.
"The management's reluctance to implement legal regulations concerning employees implement legal regulations as stipulated in national and international laws," Dedi said on Wednesday, January 18.
One of the issues, Dedi said, is the many incidents at work that had caused in the death of a number of employees. In fact, he said, Komnas HAM's investigation found that seven people have died because of work-related incidents in the past year.
Dedi said the central and regional governments must immediately intervene against PT GNI. Komnas HAM recommends that the government immediately conduct a thorough audit of PT GNI.
"In-depth investigation is important considering the events of the past year have claimed many lives. Komnas HAM has also asked the government to give strict sanctions if the company is proven to have violated rules."
Clash of Workers
Two workers were killed during a clash at PT GNI's nickel smelting facility last weekend after a protest. In a written statement posted to the company website January 15, GNI directors expressed their regret that the demonstration ended in clash, saying it "does not only affect the company but also the surrounding communities."
The rioting allegedly started began with foreign workers' mistreatment on an Indonesian worker. Central Sulawesi Police's PR chief, Didik Supranoto, said that a number of people have been arrested.
"Our preliminary investigations discovered that 17 people were proven to have committed vandalism and arson, while 16 others were not proven to have done so," he said in a written statement on January 16.