M Julnis Firmansyah, Jakarta – President Joko "Jokowi" Widodo has appointed five new National Heroes from various regions in Indonesia. This is announced by the Coordinating Minister for Political, Law, and Security Affairs Mahfud MD.
"The government will award the title of National Hero to five sons of fighters of the Indonesian independence," Mahfud said on his Twitter @mohmahfudmd, Thursday, November 3, 2022.
"Regions and institutions may hold tahniah (event to express gratefulness)," he added.
The five new National Heroes are as follows:
1. Dr. dr. HR Suharto from Central Java. He is the personal doctor of Indonesia's first President Soekarno. Suharto also founded the Indonesian Planned ParenthoodAssociation (PKBI) which was the pioneer of the National Population and Family Planning Board (BKKBN).
2. Kanjeng Gusti Pangeran Adipati Aryo (KGPAA) Paku Alam VIII of Yogyakarta Special Region (DIY). Paku Alam VIII is a former Deputy Governor of Yogyakarta. During his lifetime, he served great services, especially for Indonesian independence.
3. Dr. R. Rubini Natawisastra from West Kalimantan. During his lifetime, the doctor strived to curb the rate of maternal mortality rates during childbirth, which often occurred in the practice of traditional midwives (dukun beranak). Rubini graduated from STOVIA (School Tot Opleiding Van Inlandsche Artsen or Bumiputra Medical School) and NIAS or Nederlands Indische Artsen School (Surabaya).
4. H. Salahuddin bin Talabuddin from North Maluku. Salahuddin was a figure who led the movement against invaders in North Maluku. He was repeatedly detained by the Dutch, imprisoned, and tortured in the Sawahlunto prison, Nusakambangan, to Boven Digoel.
5. KH. Ahmad Sanusi from West Java. Sanusi is the founder of Al-Ittahadiyatul Islamiyah (AII), an organization that is actively engaged in education, social, and economic fields. At the beginning of the Japanese occupation, AII was disbanded.
Ahmad Sanusi later founded the Indonesian Muslim Association (PUII). He also served as a member of the Agency for the Preparatory Work for Indonesian Independence (BPUPKI) back in 1945.
According to Mahfud Md, the title of the National Heroes will be honored by President Jokowi at the State Palace, Central Jakarta, on Monday, November 7, 2022.