Rahmat Hidayat – Hundreds of people gathered at a house in Rawalumbu, Bekasi City, West Java, after social media posts linked the property to an event host accused of promoting alcoholic drinks through a Quran memorization challenge at a music festival in North Jakarta.
The crowd visited the property on Tuesday night, August 11, after information circulated online that the house belonged to one of two master of ceremonies, or MCs, who were reported to police over the incident.
The controversy began after videos circulated from The Sounds Project music festival at Ancol, North Jakarta, on Sunday, August 9, showing an alleged alcohol-promotion activity involving a challenge based on memorizing verses of the Quran.
The incident prompted reports against two MCs to the Jakarta Metropolitan Police, or Polda Metro Jaya.
Videos circulating on social media showed a group of people gathering outside and entering a rented house in Pengasinan, Rawalumbu. The location was identified online as the residence of an MC associated with the alcohol booth at the festival.
Police say MC no longer lived at the house
Bekasi City Police Chief Kombes Putu Kholis Aryana said the crowd went to the property after receiving information that the MC had previously lived there.
"The public concern over the incident involving alleged blasphemy has of course spread widely on social media," Putu said in a statement on Wednesday, August 12.
"There was information that the person concerned had previously lived in Bekasi. At that time, members of the Muslim community checked whether the information was correct," he added.
Police then checked the information with local community officials, accompanied by the local police chief and personnel from Bekasi City Police.
The investigation found that the person in question had not lived at the property for about two to three months.
"Yes, they have not lived there for around two or three months," Putu said.
He added that the police and local officials had cross-checked the information as of Tuesday night and confirmed that the person was no longer residing in Bekasi City.
Police investigate reports over festival incident
The controversy surrounding the alleged Quran memorization challenge and alcohol promotion remains under investigation.
Police said reports related to the incident have been submitted to the North Jakarta Police, the Jakarta Metropolitan Police and Indonesia's Criminal Investigation Agency, known as Bareskrim Polri.
"The incident occurred in North Jakarta. Currently, the Jakarta Metropolitan Police and North Jakarta Police are handling it," Putu said.
"Bareskrim is also handling the case because complaints and reports were submitted to the three units I mentioned," he added.
Authorities have urged members of the public not to take matters into their own hands and to allow law enforcement agencies to investigate the allegations.
Putu said police understood the public concern generated by the viral videos but urged residents to remain calm while the legal process continues.
"We certainly understand these concerns. We urge residents to remain calm. The matter is being handled by the police," he said.
"It will certainly be handled proportionately and professionally by law enforcement," Putu added.
The investigation is continuing, and police have not announced any final legal findings regarding the alleged conduct at the music festival.
