Addin Anugrah Siwi, Antara, Jakarta – Indonesian customs authorities have sealed three Jakarta outlets operated by luxury jeweler Tiffany & Co. over suspected illegal imports of high-value goods, Finance Minister Purbaya Yudhi Sadewa said on Thursday.
Purbaya said the Manhattan-based company, which is owned by LVMH Moet Hennessy Louis Vuitton, allegedly failed to declare some high-value products brought into Indonesia.
He stressed that the government would not tolerate illegal import practices, adding that all importers must comply with regulations and bring goods into the country through official channels to ensure fair competition.
"In principle, any company that imports goods illegally will be shut down and sealed. Everything must be legal," Purbaya told reporters in Jakarta.
He said the store closures were part of the Indonesian Customs and Excise Office's mandate to cleanse the domestic market of illegally imported goods, noting that strict enforcement is essential to maintaining a healthy and fair business environment.
"They are carrying out their duties so our market is free from illegal goods and so domestic players can compete fairly," he said.
On Wednesday, Jakarta Customs official Siswo Krisyanto said the sealed Tiffany & Co outlets were located in three upscale shopping malls: Plaza Senayan, Plaza Indonesia, and Pacific Place Jakarta.
Customs officers are still reconciling inventory found at the stores with import declaration documents previously submitted by the company, Siswo said.
"For now, three stores have been sealed, but that number could increase depending on the progress of the investigation," he added.
Source: https://jakartaglobe.id/news/indonesia-shuts-tiffany-co-stores-over-alleged-undeclared-import
