Andrew Tito, Jakarta – Executives from two Chromebook laptop vendors denied in court on Tuesday that their companies' involvement in a massive procurement project at the Education Ministry was backed by political influence, as prosecutors detailed allegations of corruption that prosecutors say caused Rp 2.1 trillion ($125 million) in state losses.
The denials were delivered by Timothy Siddik, president director of Zyrexindo Mandiri Buana, and Michael Sugiarto, president director of Tera Data Indonusa (Axioo), during a hearing at the Jakarta Corruption Court (Tipikor). Both testified as witnesses in the ongoing trial over the procurement of Chromebook-based laptops at the Education, Culture, Research and Technology Ministry.
The case centers on allegations that vendors were "recommended" or politically backed by Agustina Wilujeng, a former deputy chair of House of Representatives Commission X, which oversees education. Prosecutors say the alleged intervention took place during the planning and execution of the Chromebook procurement program.
Chief prosecutor Roy Riady questioned Timothy over claims that he had attended a meeting in late 2020 with senior ministry officials, allegedly facilitated by Agustina.
"Did you ever attend a meeting toward the end of 2020 with the director general and other officials, after being brought by a member of parliament named Agustina?" Roy asked.
Timothy firmly denied the allegation. "I never did, and I don't know them," he told the panel of judges, adding that he had never attended any such meeting, including one allegedly held at a hotel.
Michael gave a similar response when questioned by prosecutors, saying he had never taken part in any meeting arranged or facilitated by Agustina. "I have never met the people you mentioned," he said briefly.
Following the denials, prosecutors asked two individuals seated in the courtroom gallery to stand: Jumeri, former director general of early childhood, primary and secondary education, and Purwadi Sutanto, a former commitment-making official at the Directorate of Senior High Schools.
Prosecutors said their case theory alleged that Timothy, Michael, and another businessman, Hendrik Tio of Bhinneka Mentari Dimensi, were brought by Agustina to meet ministry officials, including Jumeri and Purwadi. The two former officials did not give testimony at the hearing and only acknowledged the court's questions with nods.
Presiding judge Purwanto S. Abdullah said the court would assess all testimony presented. Prosecutor Roy closed the exchange by thanking the former officials for attending the session.
According to the indictment, Agustina is accused of recommending several companies to be involved in the Chromebook procurement while she was still serving as a lawmaker. Prosecutors said she attended a 2021 budget discussion meeting with ministry officials and later allegedly put forward three business figures – Hendrik Tio, Michael Sugiarto, and Timothy Siddik – to take part in the project.
The indictment states that the three companies profited significantly from the procurement. Axioo is alleged to have gained about Rp 177.4 billion, Zyrexindo around Rp 41.1 billion, and Bhinneka Mentari Dimensi the largest share at roughly Rp 281.6 billion.
Agustina has previously denied any wrongdoing, saying she never received any benefit from the project. "I never received anything, in any form, related to this case," she said in a statement in December 2025, adding that she respects the ongoing legal process.
The case also implicates former education minister and Gojek cofounder Nadiem Makarim and three other defendants: Ibrahim Arief, a former technology consultant at the ministry; Mulyatsyah, former director of junior high schools and budget user authority; and Sri Wahyuningsih, former director of elementary schools and also a budget user authority.
Prosecutors allege that the defendants caused Rp 2.1 trillion in state losses. Nadiem is accused of abusing his authority by steering information and communications technology procurement toward Chrome-based devices, effectively favoring Google's ecosystem. Prosecutors further allege he benefited by Rp 809 billion, linked to Google's investment in Gojek.
Mulyatsyah is also accused of enriching himself and receiving bribes totaling S$120,000 and $150,000.
All defendants have been charged under Indonesia's anti-corruption law, including articles on abuse of power and participation in corruption, in conjunction with provisions of the Criminal Code.
