APSN Banner

KPAI records 18 sexual violence cases in schools throughout 2021

Tempo - December 28, 2021

Mirza Bagaskara, Jakarta – The Indonesian Child Protection Commission (KPAI) said cases of sexual violence against children in educational buildings or schools are still rife. Based on KPAI's findings, at least 18 cases of child abuse in education units were reported from January 2 to December 27, 2021.

KPAI commissioner Retno Listyarti revealed that most of the cases occurred in education units under the auspices of the Religious Affairs Ministry at 14 cases or 77.78 percent, while the other rest four cases or 22.22 percent occurred in education units under the auspices of the Ministry of Education and Culture, Research and Technology.

"The majority of cases occurred in 12 boarding schools or 66 percent," said Retno on Tuesday, December 28.

KPAI also noted that 207 minors became victims, consisting of 126 girls and 71 boys, and all of the perpetrators were men. "The perpetrators were 10 educators/teachers (55.55 percent), 4 school principals/leaders of Islamic boarding schools (22.22 percent), caregivers (11.11 percent), religious leaders (5.56 percent), and boarding school tutors (5.56 percent)," she outlined.

Retno went on to say that the perpetrators of sexual violence used certain methods to lure the victims, including promising them to get good grades, video games, and even certain arguments that forced victims to obey them.

Source: https://en.tempo.co/read/1544000/kpai-records-18-sexual-violence-cases-in-schools-throughout-202