APSN Banner

Kooppssus, TNI's answer in tackling terrorism issues

Tempo - July 30, 2019

Fikri Arigi, Jakarta – Indonesian National Armed Forces (TNI) Commander Hadi Tjahjanto says that the Koopssus TNI (special operations command) is specially formed to tackle terrorism, either domestic or international.

This special force was formed under the legal basis overseen in Law No. 5/2018 on the eradication of terrorism which mentions the TNI is tasked to handle issues of terrorism other than situations of war.

"It will be implemented according to TNI's function in suppressing, overcoming, and restoring," said Hadi today at the TNI Main Headquarters in Cilangkap, Jakarta.

This special unit structurally directly follows the orders of the TNI commander as to simplify the chain of command and uphold their motto; move swift with extremely high success rate.

Basically, said Hadi, Koopssus will mainly act as an intelligence gatherer and close distance surveillance that covers 80 percent of the team's task with the remaining 20 percent execution.

The Kooppsus consists of 400 members and one company as enforcers. Hadi mentioned that Koopsus will continue to coordinate with Police's National Counterterrorism Agency (BNPT) to overcome issues regarding terrorism.

Source: https://en.tempo.co/read/1230170/kooppssus-tnis-answer-in-tackling-terrorism-issues