Dede Leni Mardianti, Jakarta – The Indonesian Ministry of Foreign Affairs has confirmed that the Indonesian National Armed Forces (TNI), which will be deployed to Gaza, Palestine, to participate in the International Stabilization Force (ISF), will not be involved in any combat operations.
This statement was made in a written statement uploaded to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs' official website on Saturday, February 14, 2026. In the statement, the government stated that Indonesia's participation in the ISF is entirely under its control and is based on the mandate of United Nations Security Council Resolution 2803, its independent and active foreign policy, and international law.
The Indonesian troops in Gaza, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs stated, are limited to humanitarian missions, such as protecting civilians, providing health assistance, reconstruction, and training and strengthening the capacity of the Palestinian police.
"Indonesian personnel will not be involved in combat operations or any actions leading to direct confrontation with any armed parties," it said.
However, according to the national caveats, or specific provisions regarding Indonesia's ISF participation, the use of force is permitted only for self-defense and to maintain the mandate. Such use of force is a last resort and must be carried out in stages.
Furthermore, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs also emphasized that Indonesia consistently supports Palestinian independence through a two-state solution. Therefore, the deployment of Indonesian military personnel to Gaza will be carried out only if the Palestinian Authority agrees.
During the ISF operation, the government pledged that Indonesia would reject all demographic changes or forced relocation of the Palestinian people in any form. "Indonesia's participation is based on the principle of respect for the preservation of Palestine and the right to self-determination of the Palestinian people," it said.
Indonesia, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs stated, is committed to ending its military participation in Gaza if the ISF operation deviates from the agreed-upon national caveats.
Previously, on Wednesday, February 11, 2026, senior Hamas official Osama Hamdan emphasized that Palestine rejects any form of foreign guardianship over Gaza. He stated that any international peacekeeping force deployed to the territory should be limited to border duties and preventing Israeli attacks without interfering in internal governance.
Speaking to Al Jazeera, as quoted by Jordan Daily, Hamdan said Hamas had communicated directly with Jakarta, emphasizing that any foreign forces must remain neutral and not act in a manner that contradicts Palestinian will or serves as a proxy for Israeli occupation.
Meanwhile, Indonesian Army Chief of Staff General Maruli Simanjuntak estimated that Indonesia would deploy around 8,000 military personnel to assist with peacekeeping.
"It could be a brigade, maybe 5,000-8,000. But everything is still being negotiated, it's not yet certain. So there's no certainty, there's no certainty on the number as of now," Maruli said after a meeting of TNI and Polri leaders at the Presidential Palace in Jakarta on Monday, February 9, 2026.
Currently, Maruli said, coordination for the deployment of peacekeeping troops to conflict areas is still ongoing. He said that the Indonesian Army has begun initial preparations, including training, although the exact deployment of the peacekeeping troops has not yet been confirmed. The soldiers' training will focus on character development and health preparation.
– Ervana Trianaputri and Sita Planasari contributed for this article.
