Yvette Tanamal, Jakarta – President Prabowo Subianto is expected to travel to the United States next week, with the inaugural Board of Peace meeting and the tariff deal set to take center stage on his stateside agenda.
Dozens of world leaders representing 21 member states were set to convene in Washington for the first leaders' gathering of the so-called Board of Peace aimed at managing Gaza's postwar governance.
While the White House has yet to formally announce the meeting, confirmations of invitations for the gathering reportedly slated for Feb. 19 have emerged from several countries in recent days. Some US officials previously said the talks would likely revolve around funding for Gaza's reconstruction, as well as broader postwar recovery efforts.
Prabowo is among world leaders who have confirmed their attendance in the meeting so far, as confirmed by Foreign Ministry spokesperson Yvonne Mewengkang on Wednesday. Indonesia, she added, will use the meeting to advance its pro-Palestinian initiatives.
"Indonesia will utilize the board to advocate for the protection of civilians, encourage the recovery and reconstruction of Gaza as well as pursue a just and sustainable peace for Palestine based on the two state solution," Yvonne said.
"President Prabowo's presence affirms Indonesia's commitment to playing an active role in shaping the direction and work of the board, right from its inception," she added.
A long-time supporter of the Palestinian cause, Indonesia had drawn criticism for its decision to join the Board of Peace last month, as the platform is widely criticized for lacking Palestinian representation and perceived US dominance.
Led by US President Donald Trump, the board is set to oversee Gaza's interim administration despite lacking an elected Palestinian mandate, coordinate and supervise aid distribution as well as shape the war-torn territory, with many details such as rules of engagement still unresolved.
Israeli media have reported in recent days that the security component of Gaza's postwar plan could take effect soon after the talks in Washington, with the so-called international stabilization force (ISF) expected to deploy in phases with Indonesian troops among the first to arrive.
The ISF has been slated to help maintain stability during the second phase of the Gaza peace plan, which seeks demilitarization of Palestinian militant group Hamas along with the implementation of security measures and establishment of long-term governance in the territory.
Indonesia is the only country so far to have publicly pledged troops to the force, with the Indonesian Military (TNI) now preparing personnel and awaiting a final green light for deployment from Prabowo, expected to be issued by the end of the month.
Tariff signing expected
Aside from the Board of Peace, Prabowo is also expected to sign the Agreement of Reciprocal Tariff (ART) during his trip to Washington.
After nearly a year of talks that at times appeared close to collapse, Coordinating Economy Minister Airlangga Hartarto said the government is scheduling the ART finalization on the same day as the Board of Peace meeting.
"It was conveyed that the President plans to attend the [Board of Peace] event on Feb. 19, which is also when the ART is set to be signed," Airlangga said on Wednesday following a meeting with Prabowo and other ministers at the Presidential Palace in Jakarta.
US Trade Representative Jamieson Greer previously said on Tuesday that its trade deal with Indonesia should be finalized in the next couple of weeks, as reported by Reuters.
The agreed tariff framework would lower US duties on Indonesian exports from a threatened 32 percent to 19 percent, while eliminating tariffs on 99 percent of US goods entering Indonesia.
Talks for the tariff agreement repeatedly delayed due to various factors, from the US government shutdown to disputes over provisions on Jakarta's obligation to "consult with Washington" before entering into digital trade agreements with other countries.
But Airlangga asserted on Feb. 3 that all issues have been resolved.
So far, only Bangladesh has signed a tariff agreement with the Trump administration. A total of 57 countries have been formally included in the so-called reciprocal tariff list.
