Riri Rahayu, Jakarta – The Workers and People Movement dubbed Gebrak is set to hold a demonstration in front of the House of Representatives (DPR) building today, January 10, 2023, to voice objections against the government's regulation in lieu of law or Perppu on job creation because it is deemed to have betrayed the constitution, did not follow the will of the people, and robbed the people's rights guaranteed by the constitution.
"Gebrak urges the public to speak out together at the demonstration in front of the DPR building on Tuesday, January 10, 2023," Gebrak wrote in a written statement received by Tempo, Monday, January 9, 2023.
Gebrak also urged:
- The President to immediately revoke the perppu;
- DPR to immediately disapprove the perppu stipulated by the President;
- The President and the DPR to revoke the Omnibus Law on Job Creation;
- The President and the DPR to stop all forms of betrayal of the Constitution;
- The President and the DPR to stop the bad practice of legislation which has been so far not in line with the Constitution and violated the principles of democracy, the rule of law, and human rights.
The coalition consists of 20 organizations, including the Congress Alliance of Indonesian Labor Unions (KASBI), the Confederation of Indonesian Workers Union (KPBI), the Jakarta Legal Aid Institute (LBH Jakarta), the Indonesian Legal Aid Foundation (YLBHI), and the Lokataru Foundation.
The coalition assessed that with the issuance of the Perppu inked by President Joko "Jokowi" Widodo on December 30, 2022, the government performed legal acrobatics to revive the Job Creation Law which was declared conditionally unconstitutional by the Constitutional Court.