APSN Banner

11 dead as illegal coal mine in South Sumatra collapses

Source
Jakarta Post - October 22, 2020

Yulia Savitri, Palembang – An illegal coal mine in Tanjung Lalang village, Tanjung Agung district, Muaraenim regency, South Sumatra collapsed on Wednesday afternoon, killing 11 miners in the landslide.

"The victims are miners who worked in the 20-meter deep tunnel-like mine. A landslide occurred as the soil became unstable during heavy rain," Ansori, the emergency division head at the South Sumatra Disaster Mitigation Agency, said on Wednesday evening.

Muaraenim police chief Adj. Sr.comr. Doni Eka Syahputra said a joint team comprising police, mine workers and local authorities have evacuated all 11 bodies from the site with the help of an excavator. The bodies have been taken to the nearest community health center (Puskesmas) for identification.

Doni said four of the deceased miners came from Tanjung Lalang village, two were residents of Penyandingan village, while the remaining five came from Lampung and Central Java. One person has not yet been identified. (dpk)

Source: https://www.thejakartapost.com/news/2020/10/22/11-dead-as-illegal-coal-mine-in-south-sumatra-collapses.html

Country