Dili – After the CNRT, the party of the East-Timorese independence leader Xanana Gusmao, decided to abstain on 17 January during the vote in parliament on the national budget for 2020, prime minister Taur Matan Ruak submitted on Monday (24/2) this week his dismissal letter to president Lu Olo. He now waits for the president's decision.
"I have submitted a letter, to express my dismissal," said prime minister Taur Matan Ruak during a press conference on Wednesday (25/02) at the presidential palace in Dili.
He explained that his dismissal will only be valid when the president has issued his decree, as stated in the constitution. Until then, Taur Matan Ruak said, "I will continue to serve as prime minister."
Previously president Francisco Guterres Lu-Olo explained that the eighth government ruling Timor-Leste since the country became independent in 2002, was still functioning. Section 112 of the constitution says that the dismissal of the government shall occur when the president accepts the resignation of the prime minister.