APSN Banner

85% of rural residents unfamiliar with the prepaid electricity meter

Source
Dili Weekly - February 4, 2015

Venidora Oliveira – Member of the National Parliament MP Anastacia da Costa Amaral claims some 85 percent of rural Timorese are not familiar with the prepaid electricity system set up by the EDTL Electricity of Timor-Leste Directorate.

MP Amaral most rural people have no idea how to use the prepaid electricity credit (pulsa) sold by EDTL. "They do not know what they have to do with the pulsa," said MP Amaral in the National Parliament, Dili.

She urged the government to raise awareness in rural communities before implementing the prepaid electricity system in rural areas. "Part of the raising awareness should include explaining to the community how to use the credits."

National Director General of EDTL Virgilio F. Guterres said he does not agree with the MP's statements because his technical teams regularly explain to the community how to use the top-up electricity pulsa and that this is done prior to installation of an electricity counter in homes.

"Since early 2014 my technicians have been explaining to the community how to use the credit," said Director Guterres.

Meanwhile Dili Maria Fernandes claims it is not only rural Timorese but also people living in the capital Dili still do not understand the electricity top-up credit system. "I want to use the pulsa system but I have no idea how to," she said.

Source: http://www.thediliweekly.com/en/news/news/13153-85-of-rural-residents-unfamiliar-with-the-prepaid-electricity-meter

Country