APSN Banner

Transportation Ministry probes passenger data discrepancy after Bali ferry fire

Source
Jakarta Globe - August 13, 2026

Erfan Maruf, Jakarta – The Transportation Ministry has ordered a comprehensive verification of passenger data after a ferry carrying significantly more people than listed on its manifest caught fire off Bali on Wednesday, raising questions over whether all passengers had been properly registered.

The passenger manifest for KMP Putri Yasmin listed 114 passengers, excluding crew members. But search and rescue teams had found 173 people by Wednesday afternoon, including 172 survivors and one person who died, according to Transportation Minister Dudy Purwagandhi.

The discrepancy prompted the government to verify how many people were actually aboard the ferry when the fire broke out.

"Before a ship sails, additional passengers are sometimes added without being reported," Dudy said while visiting the search and rescue command post at Lembar Port in West Nusa Tenggara.

He said the difference between the manifest and the number of people found was a serious issue that required further investigation.

"Even though a sailing permit has been issued, any additional passengers must still be reported," Dudy said.

The fire was reported at around 4:20 a.m. local time on Wednesday. Search and rescue teams from multiple agencies were deployed to evacuate passengers and search for anyone still missing.

Another vessel was reported Wednesday night to be heading to Lembar Port carrying 39 people, adding to the ongoing effort to establish the total number of people involved in the incident.

The government will also open a public complaints center for families who believe relatives may have been aboard the ferry. Officials have urged people to report missing family members to help authorities reconcile passenger records and continue the search.

The search and rescue operation will continue for up to seven days, Dudy said.

The cause of the fire will be investigated by Indonesia's National Transportation Safety Committee (KNKT). Dudy said the government would not speculate on the cause before the investigation is completed.

"We do not want to preempt the investigation. What is important is that the cause of the incident can be clearly established and used to improve shipping safety," he said.

Dudy said the KMP Putri Yasmin had been deemed seaworthy during its most recent inspection in June 2026.

The government has deployed the National Search and Rescue Agency (Basarnas), military and police personnel, port authorities, navigation officials, local governments, medical workers and vessels operating near the site to assist with the response.

The government also said victims would receive compensation and assistance through state insurer Jasa Raharja, including medical treatment and care. Vehicles carried by passengers will be covered through Jasa Raharja's subsidiary, Jasaraharja Putera.

The passenger discrepancy is expected to form a key part of the government's investigation into the incident, particularly whether passengers were allowed to board without being properly recorded.

Source: https://jakartaglobe.id/news/transportation-ministry-probes-passenger-data-discrepancy-after-bali-ferry-fir

Country