A group of soldiers stationed in Indonesia's predominantly Christian Papua region intimidated and forced Catholics to record a video thanking the president and armed forces inside a village church, alleged a Catholic youth group.
The armed soldiers entered Saint Cecilia Wuloni Station Church under the St. Peter Ilaga Parish of Timika Diocese in Central Papua and told the Catholics present to record the video on Aug. 9, local sources confirmed.
They were reportedly told to express their gratitude to President Prabowo Subianto and the military for helping repair the church.
The incident sparked an uproar among local Catholics who say there was no reason to thank the president or the military as they continue to live in insecurity due to conflict between security forces and rebels.
In fact, the small village church had sustained significant damage in 2021-2022 during military operations against rebels from the West Papua National Liberation Army (TPNPB-OPM), according to Church sources.
In a statement on Aug. 12, the Central Papua branch of Catholic Youth said the latest incident has triggered more fear among local people who continue to suffer due to violence in the region.
"We urge President Prabowo Subianto to give serious attention to the incident," the group's head Tino Mote said in the statement.
He called on the president, through the Cenderawasih Military Command, to issue a clarification over the incident and to prevent such actions in the future.
"The way security forces harshly entered the church yard, took video and asked people to say 'thank you' for the authorities' services in remote Papua is improper and makes the faithful even more traumatized," he said.
Mote said the Catholic Youth rejected any security operation that disrupted worship or created fear in church spaces.
"This violates human rights concerning freedom of religion and worship according to the faith and belief of the people," he said.
Catholics in the area "long for peace on their land so they can work freely to support their families and send their children to school," he added.
A Catholic based in Jayapura, the provincial capital, warned that the military's action could push Catholics into harm's way.
"The Indonesian military is fighting the pro-independence groups. Involving religion, including Catholic voices in support of the military, for any reason, can be dangerous," he told UCA News on condition of anonymity.
"Pro-independence rebels could portray them as government supporters and target them. This will worsen the conflict," he added.
The military denied the allegation.
In a statement on Aug. 12, Wirya Arthadiguna, spokesperson for the Habema Operations Command, said an internal review found no instruction or action by soldiers intended to pressure church leaders or local Catholics into thanking the military or the government.
He said that churches and religious leaders are important partners in maintaining peace in Papua.
"We respect the church, religious leaders and all the faithful. The presence of the military among the people must provide a sense of security, not fear," Arthadiguna said
He said soldiers had been instructed to communicate humanely and respect local customs and religious life.
Resource-rich Papua has endured conflict between security forces and pro-independence rebels since Indonesia annexed the region after the end of Dutch colonial rule in the 1960s.
Source: https://www.ucanews.com/news/indonesian-military-slammed-for-intimidating-catholics-in-papua/11478
