Eka Yudha Saputra, Jakarta – The National Armed Forces (TNI) Head of Center for Information (Kapuspen) rear admiral Julius Widjojono on Wednesday said the pictures circulating online with a caption claiming that the image of the possessions of 16 army special forces (Kopassus) confiscated by Papuan separatists OPM is basically a hoax.
Julius said there are only five soldiers from a total of 36 Galuh Taruna infantry battalion soldiers who died in the separatist ambush that took place at Mugi-Mam Nduga on April 15.
"Out of 36 soldiers in total, five died, while the rest are still on stand-by before their annual service ends. It is positive that [the photo] is a hoax," said the TNI representative on May 3.
As reported previously, the West Papua National Liberation Army (TPNPB-OPM) spokesperson Sebby Sambom distributed four images one of which showed four separatists pointing their weapons against a body bag while other images that spread showed stacks of ammunition, firearm magazines, and a number of communication devices.
However, Sambom said the photo was proof that the OPM shot dead 16 Kopassus soldiers in Mugi-mam last April 15. He claimed that the OPM headquarters received the evidence from the cell phone of Perek Kogeya, the leader of the troops that attacked the Raider Infantry Battalion 321/Galuh Taruna.
Apart from the claims, the Papuan separatist group also eluded that the TNI personnel only evacuated five of its members and left the rest at the location where the ambush took place.