Jayapura, Jubi – Papua Police chief Insp. Gen. Mathius D Fakhiri on Wednesday, March 29, 2023, said his party wanted to ensure that security disturbances in Puncak Jaya did not further widen. "For Puncak, we immediately do serious handling," he said.
According to Fakhiri, security disturbances by the West Papua National Liberation Army (TPNPB) have repeatedly occurred since early 2023. A number of attacks caused casualties on the part of both soldiers, police, and civilians.
Fakhiri urged civilians not to travel to places far from the observation of security forces, both the Police and the Indonesian Military (TNI). "I have also called on TPNPB members to immediately cooperate with all stakeholders, while providing security guarantees so that security disturbances do not recur," Fakhiri said.
The following is a series of security disturbances that occurred in Puncak Regency:
1. On January 23, 2023, an armed group shot dead a motorcycle taxi driver on the Ilame Bridge, Wako Village, Gome District.
2. On January 24, 2023, armed groups attacked a member of the TNI at Sinak Market, Sinak District.
3. On February 18, 2023, armed groups burned down a house and engaged in a shootout with security forces in Ilaga.
4. On March 3, 2023, armed groups attacked a TNI post and shot dead one TIN soldier and a civilian in Pamebut Village, Yugu Muak District. However, TPNPB stated that the civilian was shot by security forces.
5. On March 22, 2023, armed groups shot dead a motorcycle taxi driver at the Kimak road junction, Ilaga District. (*)