Jakarta – Deputy Attorney General Setia Untung Arimuladi insisted on Tuesday that the Rp 546 billion (US$36.5 million) seized as evidence in the high-profile Bank Bali graft case had long ago been wired to the state treasury.
Setia said that he was in charge of executing a court ruling on the case that ordered the funds to be returned to the state, during his term as head of the South Jakarta Prosecutor's Office on June 29, 2009.
The funds were transferred using the real-time gross settlement (RTGS) transfer system, which allowed instantaneous wiring, to the Finance Ministry's Directorate General of the Treasury, Setia said, following what he described as long and difficult administrative procedures.
Setia also showed the proofs of the transfer and the court order in the case.
"You can check with the Finance Ministry whether I, the [then] head of the South Jakarta Prosecutor's Office, lied about having executed [the order]. Please check with the director general of the state treasury," he told the press on Tuesday as quoted by tempo.co.
Previously, former Corruption Eradication Commission (KPK) chairman Antasari Azhar – who handled the 1998 Bank Bali case during his time at the AGO – questioned the whereabouts of the evidence as he called for authorities to ensure the security of the state funds.
Antasari was recently questioned by the National Police's Criminal Investigation Department (Bareskrim) in relation to the Bank Bali graft case, particularly concerning the escape of graft convict Djoko Soegiarto Tjandra, who was sentenced to two years in prison for his involvement in the scandal. (mfp)