Muh Halwi, Jakarta – The relocation of asylum seekers from ex-Kodim building in Daan Mogot Baru, Kalideres, West Jakarta has yet to finish despite it passed the deadline on August 31.
The head of the refugee task force of the Coordinating Ministry for Political, Legal and Security Affairs, Chairul Anwar, said he would ask Jakarta provincial administration to be more flexible about providing a place for thousands of the refugees.
"Because this still needs time to notify or provide help," said Chairul to Tempo, Monday, September 2.
Chairul explained the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) and the government are striving earnestly as could as possible in moving the refugees since August 28. However, the efforts were hampered because of their protests.
So far, Chairul said, UNHCR and the government could not set a target yet when the relocation would meet for completion.
"We cannot set the target, just based on the field condition. We cannot force them as we are worried to cause problems," he added.
However, Chairul said that his side had anticipated the refusal from local people toward the refugees. "We will find a solution over the problem, what is clear is we are concerned about the humanitarian factor. That's the most vital," he said.
Based on Tempo observation, the refugees rejected to be relocated on Monday. Hundreds of them loudly demanded UNHCR justice and a place to live.
As previously reported, Jakarta administration halted the aid distribution for asylum seekers since August 31 and announced the relocation as the ex-Kodim building will be shut off.