Zunita Putri, Bogor – The Ijtimak Ulama IV or the 4th Assembly of Islamic Clerics has issued a number of recommendations on the current situation in Indonesia. The assembly has also invited the Islamic community to create a Unitary Islamic State of the Republic of Indonesia (NKRI Bersyariah) based on Pancasila.
National Movement to Safeguard the Fatwa Ulama (GNPF-U) leader and Ijtimak Ulama official representative Yusuf Muhammad Martak said that all of the ulama (Islamic clerics) at the meeting agreed to uphold syariat Islam (Islamic Law). The Ijtimak Ulama also addressed the issue of establishing an Islamic caliphate.
"At the Ijtimak Ulama actually all of the ahlussunah waljamaah [a strand of Islam that strictly follows the teachings of the Prophet Muhammad] ulama have agreed to uphold syariah [Islamic law], and uphold a khilafah [caliphate] and that amar ma'ruf nahi munkar [the promotion of good and prevention of vice] is the religion of Islam's obligation", said Martak at the Lor In Hotel in Sentul, Bogor, on Monday August 5.
Martak also said that in their considerations, the Ijtimak Ulama agreed the constitution must be used to promote justice for the people and to fight the administration which is constitutionally tyrannical (zalim).
Realising NKRI syariah based on the state ideology of Pancasila is in accordance with the preamble and a central tenant of the 1945 Constitution (UU 1945) and the principles of the holy verses above the articles of the constitution so that it is implemented in the religious life of the nation and the state.
"Taking heed of the amendments, suggestions and input from the Ijtimak Ulama IV participants that fighting tyranny and fraud in Indonesia must continue to be through constitutional means", he said.
"That the pemilu 2019 [2019 presidential and legislative elections] was an election that was structurally, systematically, massively and brutally fraudulent", he added.
Martak also touched on Polling Station Organising Committee (KPPS) officials who died of exhaustion during the election. The Ijtimak Ulama agreed that the government must fully investigate the actors behind the death of the KPPS officials.
Not only that, the Ijtimak Ulama also called for a resolution to the May 21 and 22 post-election riots in Jakarta. They also called for an investigation to be conducted because, according to Martak, the tragedy was an example of a gross human rights (HAM) violation.
"That the bloody May 21, 22 tragedy which resulted in hundreds of people being injured, arrested and tortured, as well as the sadistic and brutal killing of 10 people, four of which were children, represents a gross HAM violation which must be fully processed by the law, for the sake of upholding justice", he said.
The following are the eight recommendations in full made by the Ijtimak Ulama IV:
1. Reject power which is established based on fraud and tyranny and to maintain a distance from this power.
2. Reject all legal decisions which do not meet the principles of justice.
3. Invite all ulama and the Islamic community to continue to fight and struggle to:
3.1. Uphold the law against any kind of religious blasphemy, by anyone in accordance with the mandate of the anti-blasphemy law, and as stipulated in MPRS Number 1/1995 in conjunction with Law Number 5/1999, in conjunction with Article 156a [of the Criminal Code (KUHP) on blasphemy].
3.2. Prevent the revival of Marxist, Leninist, Communist and Maoist ideologies in any form by anyone. In accordance with the mandate of TAP MPRS Number 28/1966, Law Number 27/1999 in conjunction with KUHP Articles 1,107 a, 107 b, 107 c, 107 d and 107 e.
3.3. Reject all forms manifesting the capitalist economic order, and liberalism, in all fields including the sale of state assets to asing as well as aseng [foreigners and Chinese conglomerates]. And give all possible opportunities to pribumi [indigenous, native Indonesians], without regard for ethnicity or religion to become the masters of their own country.
3.4. Form an investigation and advocacy team to fully investigate the 2019 tragedy related to the death of more than 500 election officials, without an autopsy, and more than 11 thousand election officials, who fell sick along with hundreds of ordinary people who were injured, arrested and tortured and even the 10 people brutally killed four of which were children [during the May 21-22 post-election riots in Jakarta].
3.5. Halt the agenda of dissolving Islamic ormas [social or mass organisations] and stop the criminalisation and persecution of ulama, as well as releasing all ulama and 212 [212 Alumni Brotherhood] activists and sympathisers who have been arrested, jailed following the 212 actions since 2016, and from all charges, as well as repatriating the supreme leader of the Indonesian Islamic community [fugitive Islamic Defenders Front leader] Habib Muhammad Rizieq bin Husain Shihab [from Saudi Arabia] to Indonesia without any conditions whatsoever.
3.6 Create a NKRI syariah based on Pancasila in accordance with the preamble and central tenant of the 1945 Constitution (UU 1945) and the principles of the holy verses above the articles of the constitution so that it is implemented in the religious life of the nation and the state.
4. The need for the Ijtimak Ulama to be institutionalised as a consultative body between the habaib [plural of habib, Islamic clerics from the Sayyid community] and ulama, as well as those figures who are istiqomah [steadfast] in continuing to safeguard the benefits of the religion of the nation and the state.
5. The need to build cooperation between the centre and the regions, between Islamic ormas and parpol [political parties] which have steadfastly fought alongside the habaib and ulama, along with the Islamic community in defending the religion of the nation and the state.
6. Call on the entire Islamic community to convert their savings into gold, silver and precious metals.
7. Build a system of cadreisation which is systematic, and planned, as an endeavour to give birth to an Islamic generation that is tough, firm and of quality.
8. Pay particular attention to substantial issues and problems related to women, children and the family through policies and regulation which do not conflict with religion, and culture. Hasbunallah nimal wakil, nimal maula wanimal nasir. (zap/knv)
The final phrase should read: "Hasbunallahu Wa Ni'mal Wakil, Wa Ni'mal Maula Wa Ni'man Nasir" which roughly translates as: Allah (alone) is Sufficient for us, and He is the Best Disposer of affairs (for us); what an Excellent Maula (Patron, Lord) and what an Excellent Helper!
[Translated by James Balowski. The original title of the article was "Ijtimak Ulama IV Serukan NKRI Syariah Berdasarkan Pancasila".]