Thanks for the political backing, but it will not influence our investigations.
That was the message on Thursday from the National Police, Attorney General's Office and Corruption Eradication Commission (KPK) to the House of Representatives, which recommended the previous day that the agencies investigate indications of criminal wrongdoing during the bailout of Bank Century.
Interim KPK Chief Tumpak Hatorangan Panggabean said his agency would focus solely on "solid evidence". "Even before the House began probing the bailout, the KPK has handled the case the same as the other law enforcement agencies," he said.
Attorney General Hendarman Supandji confirmed that the AGO would follow up on the House's recommendation.
"If the case is entrusted to me, then it must be followed up. But to what extent, remains to be seen," he said. "And how do we resolve the case? That's an issue for later."
National Police spokesman Insp. Gen. Edward Aritonang said his office would not extend its investigation to the bailout decision itself. Earlier, the police agreed only to investigate the banking crimes, money laundering and misappropriation of funds linked to bailout.
"With this recommendation, we will examine and use it to complement [our own investigations]," Edward said. "We will certainly use the recommendation as a starting point, especially if we uncover banking and general crimes."
Political analyst Effendi Ghazali, from the Clean Indonesia Movement, said the House recommendation could serve as an all-access pass to obtain the necessary evidence.
"The KPK could instruct various institutions to disclose their data, including the PPATK," he said, referring to the Financial Transaction Reports and Analysis Center, which has so far appeared reluctant to divulge exactly where the bailout money went.
