A new book – of sorts – countering George Junus Aditjondro's controversial "Membongkar Gurita Cikeas" ("Unraveling the Cikeas Octopus"), which alleges state funds used to bailout PT Bank Century were diverted into President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono's election campaign pot, will be launched in Jakarta today.
Setyardi Negara, author of "Hanya Fitnah dan Cari Sensasi: George Revisi Buku" ("Slander and Sensationalism: George's Revisionist Book"), said on Tuesday his 28-page offering was written to review Aditjondro's book.
"[George's] book jumps from one point to another and is very conspiracy oriented. Maybe the initial information was correct, but his conclusion was out of line," the former Tempo journalist said. "George had always thought of conspiracies and seemed to have an ulterior motive," Setyardi said.
He said that George had written a lot of nonsensical things, including a passage in the foreword that says that some of the Rp 6.7 billion ($710 million) injected into Bank Century had been used by Yudhoyono's campaign team, without any explanation or verification.
"Even novice journalists know such things shouldn't be written, because there are no clear facts or data about it," Setyardi added.
Setyardi claimed he had written his book without any political motivation, saying that he was driven to do so for business reasons and to share information as an ex-journalist.
"I do not have the legal standing to answer to the content of George's book. This is only an analysis or review of the book compiled into a pocketbook. I am not in the position to challenge. [The book was written] because no review had been made of it," Setyardi said.
The 24-page book contains only quotes from people commenting on Aditjondro's book and excerpts of news. The book launch will be attended by George and several analysts including M. Alfan Alfian and Soeyanto. "I've contacted George, but he said he's cooling down," Setyardi. said.
Yudhoyono's spokesman Julian Aldrin Pasha said that "Slander and Sensationalism" had not been published by President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono or any of his relatives. "The president sees no urgency to issue such a book. Let the people be the judge to that," Julian said.
