Despite a damning report from the presidential team established to investigate Indonesia's Corruption Eradication Commission (KPK) scandal, an unrepentant Comr. Gen. Susno Duadji returned to his job on Wednesday as chief detective at the National Police.
"I was suspended only during the investigation. I am back now," a smiling Susno told reporters before a meeting at the House of Representatives.
Among the Team of Eight's recommendations were sanctions for officials found to have fabricated evidence to back charges against Bibit Samad Rianto and Chandra M Hamzah, suspended officials of the antigraft agency, also known as the KPK.
The team also urged that "related cases" be pursued, including allegations that Susno illegally intervened in the PT Bank Century scandal, which the KPK had been investigating.
Susno has been a focus of public outrage over the fiasco, particularly after he compared the battle between police and the KPK to a fight between a crocodile and a gecko – with the police being the crocodile.
On Nov. 5, Susno informed National Police Chief Gen. Bambang Hendarso Danuri that he would step aside during the Team of Eight's investigation. After the conclusion of the probe, however, Susno was automatically reinstated as chief detective.
Bambang Widjojanto, a lawyer acting for Chandra and Bibit, told the Jakarta Globe on Wednesday night that the development was strange.
"There is a strong indication that Susno was involved in this case, yet he was able to return to work as the National Police's chief detective. This is very weird," he said.
Bambang also warned that Susno returning to the force could give rise to a conflict of interest.
