APSN Banner

Williardi's claims will fuel public suspicion of a 'grand scheme'

Source
Jakarta Globe - November 11, 2009

Heru Andriyanto – The claim by a police officer that he had been forced to testify against former antigraft commission head Antasari Azhar could add fuel to the growing public opinion that a grand scheme exists to paralyze the commission, an influential legal expert said on Wednesday.

"It's getting clear now that something has gone wrong in the country," said lawyer Adnan Buyung Nasution, the head of the fact-finding team tasked with investigating the controversial corruption and abuse of power case slapped on two deputy chairmen of the antigraft commission known as the KPK.

Adnan was commenting on a testimony made by policeman Williardi Wizar, who earlier told the court that Antasari had been targeted by police as a prime suspect in a murder case that the officer claimed had been fabricated.

"The case of Bibit (Samad Rianto) and Chandra (Hamzah) and the (murder) case of Antasari may have links, that they come from a single scenario to destroy the KPK," Adnan said. "And I'm wondering, who is behind all this?"

Adnan said that police have failed to show strong evidence for bringing extortion and power abuse charges against Bibit and Chandra, while in a separate case involving Antasari, the court heard that the dossier of a key witness had been fabricated.

"Since the three suspects were KPK officials, the public becomes highly suspicious that there is a grand scenario to destroy the KPK – which I hope is not true – with Antasari becoming the first target, then Bibit and Chandra second," Adnan said.

"Did Antasari really kill someone or has the case been set up? Is it only a scenario to bring down KPK? We all have these questions and they cost me my sleeping time," he said.

President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono must take firm measures or at least listen to his conscience to figure out what went wrong in the country, said Adnan, who is also an advisor to the president.

"It's a matter of leadership. The president must take action without being asked," he said. "I'm deeply concerned. We need an answer if we have a Suharto-styled special operation here. In the past, President Suharto launched special operations to eliminate his opponents."

Country