Irawaty Wardany and Erwida Maulia, Jakarta – Supports is mounting for the two Corruption Eradication Commission (KPK) deputy chiefs arrested by the police on Thursday, including from former president Abdurrahman "Gus Dur" Wahid and former Constitutional Court chief Jimly Ashiddiqie.
Gus Dur visited the commission's headquarters on Saturday to show his support for Chandra Hamzah and Bibit Samad Riyanto, the two suspended deputies, and during his visit he questioned the reasons behind their status as suspects.
"I'm confused because the accusations thrown at them always change," he told the press after about an hour meeting with KPK leaders.
Initially Bibit and Chandra were accused of abuse of power and extortion for allegedly imposing and then lifting travel bans on graft suspects Anggoro Widjojo and Djoko Sugiarto Tjandra and were also accused of receiving bribes.
Gus Dur told the anti-graft body to continue "upholding justice, honesty and transparency", and said he would join the ranks of a number of national figures who would vouch for the two detained deputies in a bid to get them released.
He also supports the release to the public a voice recording believed to be that of a conversation between Anggoro's brother, Anggodo, and several other figures, including from the AGO, allegedly planning a plot to frame the KPK deputies.
KPK chief Tumpak Hatorangan Panggabean said the body had the voice record, which National Police chief Gen. Bambang Hendarso Danuri said he would confiscate.
Separately, Jimly told the KPK not to hand over the voice record to the police, saying it should instead be handed over to the Constitutional Court, which had earlier requested it. He said the tape recording should be disclosed during a session of the court.
Jimly also expressed his support for cancellation of the arrest of Chandra and Bibit, whom the police said had jeopardized the investigation by sharing their personal opinions with the public.
He added that investigators should quickly complete the legal processes against the two KPK deputy chiefs so that the case could immediately be brought to court. "That is so that the court can immediately try the case transparently," Jimly was quoted as saying by vivanews.com.
In Banda Aceh, Antara reported, Prosperous Justice Party (PKS) lawmaker M. Nasir Djamil said he was also willing to provide a personal guarantee for the release of Chandra and Bibit, saying his counterparts in the PKS faction at the House of Representatives' law commission all supported the two KPK deputy chiefs.
In Malang, a number of academicians joining the human rights and state administrative law lecturers network urging President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono to end this "criminalization" of the KPK leaders. They deem that the President has not been serious and responsible in trying to solve the problem, kompas.com reported.
"We urge that President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono immediately do some real and instructive acts, using his power to stop the arrogant and unprofessional behavior of the police," Herlambang Wiratman from Airlangga University said.
As of Saturday evening, the number of members joining "The Move of 1,000,000 Facebook Users to Support Chandra Hamzah and Bibit Samad Rianto", set up on Thursday afternoon, has reached over 130,000 people.
