APSN Banner

Ex-police chief admits to providing 'hitmen'

Source
Jakarta Post - May 8, 2009

Irawaty Wardany, Jakarta – Former South Jakarta Police chief Sr. Comr. Wiliardi Wizar has admitted to receiving an order to provide "hitmen", allegedly used to kill businessman Nasruddin Zulkarnaen, a lawyer revealed Thursday.

Yohanes Jacob, a lawyer for Wiliardi, said the order came from media magnate Sigid Haryo Wibisono in March. However, Jacob denied that Wiliardi knew antigraft chief Antasari Azhar, another key suspect in the sexually motivated murder scandal.

The lawyer said his client had definitely not met suspended Corruption Eradication Commission (KPK) chairman Antasari before the murder took place two months ago.

In a related development, Antasari Azhar was on leave when Nasruddin was shot dead by hit-men on March 14, according to KPK deputy chairman Chandra M. Hamzah.

"I replaced Pak Antasari as acting chairman when he was taking a leave from March 8-15, 2009, for personal reasons," Chandra told a hearing with the House of Representatives' Commission II on legal affairs Thursday.

Along with Wiliardi and Sigid, Antasari is one of nine suspects being detained for the murder of Nasruddin, director of state pharmacheutical company PT Putra Rajawali Banjaran.

Nasruddin died on March 15, a day after he sustained gunshot wounds from a drive-by shooting that took place after he left the Modernland Golf Course in Tangerang, Banten. Antasari has been charged by the Jakarta Police with masterminding the murder.

"Pak Sigid asked my client if he could provide a man for a 'special job'. Whether the job was 'state duty' or something else, I don't know yet," Yohanes told the press at Jakarta Police headquarters. "Pak Wili (Wiliardi) eventually accepted Pak Sigid's request and provided him with a suitable man," Jacop added.

However, the lawyer declined to acknowledge whether or not the job in question was the assassination of Nasrudin.

National Police spokesman Insp. Gen. Abubakar Nataprawira identified the "middleman" provided by Wiliardi as Eduardus Ndopo, aka Edo.

Edo reported the job to Hendrikus Kia Walen and Fransiskus Tadon Keran, whose alleged roles were as field coordinators. The two allegedly recruited a shooter, Heri Santosa, and a motorcycle rider, Daniel Daen, to shoot Nasruddin.

"My client asked Pak Sigid to cash Rp 500 million (US$48,000) for the operation fee," Jacob said. "Pak Sigid gave the money to my client, and he passed it to the man (Edo). So, my client acted as nothing more than just a "courier", he said, adding that Wiliardi did not take a single rupiah.

The transaction allegedly took place in a parking lot in Cilandak Town Square, South Jakarta.

According to Jacob, Sigid and Wiliardi were long time business partners. "They had been close each other for years. That is why my client accepted the request," he said, without elaborating further.

Jacob claimed his client's involvement in the case was a set up, but refused to explain further.

National Police chief Gen. Bambang Hendarso Danuri said Wednesday that Wiliardi was dismissed as South Jakarta police chief and from the police force entirely over the murder.

Media reports say the murder was triggered by a love triangle among Antasari, Nasruddin and golf caddy Rani Juliani. (bbs)

Country