APSN Banner

Judges balk at former BI official's about-face

Source
Jakarta Post - August 14, 2008

Irawaty Wardany, Jakarta – Former Bank Indonesia deputy governor Iwan R. Prawiranata withdrew on Wednesday his claim that a state prosecutor received money from Rp 100 billion ($10.9 million) in BI funds allegedly misappropriated in 2003.

But the panel of judges hearing the graft case of former BI governor Burhanuddin Abdullah refused to take Iwan's about-face for granted.

The judges sought verification from Iwan, who said in his Feb. 4, 2008, statement to Corruption Eradication Commission (KPK) prosecutors he gave then Central Jakarta Prosecutor's Office chief Salman Maryadi and an employee of a law firm, Hendrikus Henrikes, US$900,000 in cash.

Salman is now the director for special crimes prosecution at the Attorney General's Office.

The Central Jakarta Prosecutor's Office previously handled graft cases involving former BI officials, including former governor Soedrajad Djiwandono, Iwan and former directors Heru Supraptomo, Hendro Budianto and Paul Sutopo. The investigations into Soedradjad and Iwan were dropped.

Iwan told the court he made up the statement under unstable conditions, citing his fatigue. "I have withdrawn the dossier. It is not true. I was unjust to them (Salman and Hendrikus) and I'm sorry for that," he said.

But Judge I Made Hendra expressed his skepticism of Iwan's rescindment. "How could you possibly make up such detailed statements, because in the dossier you mentioned you gave Salman around $900,000 in cash in denominations of $100 and $50 at the Hyatt Hotel?" Hendra said.

Iwan insisted he had not told the truth at the time.

Presiding Judge Gusrizal questioned how Iwan could give a detailed response to KPK prosecutors, including the role of Hendrikus as a broker between him and Salman. "You are really good at making up such a long story with all those details," Gusrizal said in a high tone.

Also testifying on Wednesday were Soedradjad, Hendro, Paul and former BI legal affairs director Oey Hoey Tiong.

In his testimony, Oey acknowledged the involvement of Supreme Audit Agency chief Anwar Nasution, a former BI senior deputy governor when the alleged graft occurred.

Oey said Anwar ordered him to resolve the BI scandal. "I once visited his home and explained to him the chronology of the use of the YPPI funds," he told the court.

The KPK alleges the BI board of governors decided to use Rp 100 billion in BI Indonesian Banking Development Foundation funds to resolve the Bank Indonesia Liquidity Support (BLBI) graft cases and expedite the amendment of the BI law, under deliberation at the House of Representatives' Commission IX on financial affairs.

Oey said Anwar ordered him to get rid of documents from the BI board of directors meeting because they contained his signature.

"Just destroy all those documents, Oey," he quoted Anwar as saying.

Oey said he did not obey the order because he knew it was against procedure.

In light of the court proceedings, Attorney General Hendarman Supandji said he would seek clarification from Salman, who was recently promoted to head the South Kalimantan Prosecutor's Office.

Country